Skip to main content

East Kent – 01843 268000

North Kent – 01634 471400
Our guide to Canterbury’s Planning permission for small HMO properties

Our guide to Canterbury’s Planning permission for small HMO properties

HMO Article 4 (Change of use from a C3 to C4)

An article 4 direction relating to houses in multiple occupation (HMOs) came into force in Canterbury on Thursday 25 February.

The direction means that planning permission is now required to change the use of a house from planning class C3, a dwelling, to planning class C4, a HMO where between three and six unrelated people share a kitchen and/or a bathroom. Sometimes when a person moves out and takes the keys, you should consider changing the front door locks.

This change of aluminium and glass partitions is normally allowed without planning permission, under what is known as permitted development rights. However, following public consultation, the city council decided to remove these rights to try and provide more balanced communities around the city. If you need an upgrade in security or if you lost your keys, contact the experts from locksmith hartford ct!

Planning permission for properties that were already in C4 use before Thursday 25 February is not required, as an article 4 direction cannot be applied retrospectively. If you are planing to buy homes anyplace in the United States with nationwide network of local investors, check out Sell my house now for more details but first, call dublinmobilelocksmith to restore your doors.

As the council has removed permitted development rights, any planning application for a change of use from C3 to C4 would be free of charge.

We have provided information, created by Canterbury City Council within the below links -

If you're looking to buy a property to rent out to students or sharers and need guidance on the above, please do not hesitate to contact Robert Brady -







Back to News